So you’re ready to pop the big question to the girl that’s stolen your heart? If you’re anything like all the other guys on the planet, you’re probably scared to death that you’re going to screw it up — that your idea won’t be romantic enough, that somebody will spoil the surprise, that you’ll pick out a ring she hates, and most of all, that she might say no. Unfortunately, we can’t give you all the answers about how to propose to your girl in a way that she’ll love. But, that said, there’s no need to lose your cool and chicken out under the pressure. After all, you’re a smart guy, and, if the time is right, then you have a pretty decent idea what the lady in your life will and will not want included in her proposal (i.e. public proposals aren’t for everyone). However, there’s some good news — we can share our top 5 wedding proposal tips and ideas for asking her the big question. They’re just below, and, if you really want to make sure to knock this whole “will you marry me?” thing out of the park, you better give them a look.
1. Have it documented —Whether you decide to hire a photographer to snap shots of the whole thing, bring in a videographer to catch it all on film, or both, is entirely up to you and what works for your plan. But, there’s one thing we know for sure — most women are totally on board with the idea of having their proposal documented. Not only is the gesture romantic, it’s a great way to have a lasting memento of the moment that you both can share in the future.
2. Speak from the heart —It’s okay if you want to write down your thoughts or what you want to say when to drop to one knee, but whatever you do, don’t treat your proposal like a speech that you have to rehearse. She wants to hear what’s your feeling and why you want her to be your wife, so share just that and leave cheesy quotes and pre-planned orations for another day.
3. Propose in a way that fits your relationship —No two women are exactly the same and all women definitely don’t want to be proposed to in the same way. Some women prefer a proposal that are low key and private while others may want something that’s totally extravagant and public. So, keep this in mind as you work out your proposal plans for the women you want to be your wife. Reflect on her personality and your relationship, then put together something that’s personal and that fits the your style as a couple. Do this and we have no doubts you’ll come up with a creative idea that will wow her.
4. Don’t propose empty-handed —It’s totally fine to not propose with “the” ring if you want her input picking out an engagement ring she’s crazy about. Actually, it happens all the time. BUT, this doesn’t mean that you have a free pass to propose with nothing in hand. In the moment, most women (but not all, of course) are going to want you to slip something on their finger, so come up with a creative idea or have a generic ring picked out just for the moment. If you plan ahead, many jewelry stores offer “proposal” rings, bands without a stone setting, that work perfectly as an in-the-moment ring substitutes.
5. Insure the ring —If you do have a ring picked out for your potential bride-to-be, please heed our advice and get it insured as soon as you purchase it. We could tell you about a million different horror stories we’ve heard about guys losing the ring before the proposal (remember the guy who buried the ring in the sand and then couldn’t find it for hours?), trust us when we say you need to protect your investment, man. Seriously, it’s not worth the risk.
After you've done all the dirty work and got her to say yes, its time to start hunting for the best groomsmen gift ideas out there. Groovy Groomsmen would be happy to assist you with that.